I spent a delightful 3 days/2 nights with quilt-y friends socializing and working like crazy. If you ever get an opportunity to go to a retreat, I highly recommend it. It’s inspiring to see others’ work, energizing to get a fresh new view out the window, and so wonderful to go a weekend without cooking or cleaning. Woot!
I got lots of work done. The baby quilt for Baby O has a completed quilt top, completed quilt backing and also completely basted! The sewing place was big enough for me to put three tables together to baste. At home, I’d be doing that on the floor and fighting off the kitties the whole time. It was worth the trip just to get my quilt basted.
And then, with only a couple of hours left before we departed, my friend Mary and I decided to collaborate on a mini quilt. I took the Heather block (upper L block in photo below) from the 1930’s Farmers’ Wife book and tried to draft it to a 6″ finished block based on a proportional drawing but without any indications of the size of the pieces. It was a great brain exercise, trying to transpose the picture into cut pieces, and then into a quilt block. An exercise I failed at miserably, most likely due to forgetting to add back in seam allowances. My 6″ block came out to 4″ (not to mention a few wonky triangles) – oops! Easy enough to add a border to it, but boy did I make my life more difficult than it had to be!